HISTORY OF THE AREA
The history of the project site is rich and full of surprises. Learn more about the story behind the story.
MERCURY AUTO PLANT
The site of the proposed development began its story as a 157 acres Ford Motor Company Auto Plant in 1957 with the production of Mercury as well as Ford automobiles. Notable models included the Edsel Corsair, Citation hardtop, Comet, Thunderbird, Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. The production of over 1.4M cars continued for decades until the final car was assembled in July 1979, the plant closing the following year in 1980.
NORTHROP B-2 PLANT
After closure, the plant was then purchased by Northrop Corporation in 1982 where they developed the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber. Many of the former Mercury Plant workers were rehired by Northrop, numbering in the thousands. This site was involved in much of the design, manufacturing and support for the B-2 program. Over the years, various functions were transferred away from the site to Palmdale. The site was finally closed and demolished in 2001. The only sign of the location’s previous history can be found just down the road to the south of our proposed development, at Stealth Pkwy!